The coronavirus pandemic started in Wuhan, China last December 2019. It happened so fast that we barely even realized we’re already 5 months in lockdown.
The impact of coronavirus has a way of affecting not just the economy but our personality as well. Behavioral science and the history of previous global pandemics even suggest that COVID-19 will transform our perception in life forever.
To understand the impact deeper, AmericanMarijuana.org conducted a survey involving 1,017 American cannabis consumers asking how COVID-19 changed their weed-smoking habits and how their families and friends feel about their habit these days.
Does Smoking Make Weed-Smokers Susceptible to Coronavirus?
The act of smoking means fingers are constantly in contact with the lips, thus increasing the risks of transmitting the virus, according to the World Health Organization.
The participants were divided into 2 categories: those with lung problems and those without lung problems. Of the 1,017 participants that took the survey, 873 (85.5%) said they don’t have any lung problems while 144 (14%) revealed they do have lung problems.
According to 301 (34.47%) of participants without lung problems and 78 (54.35%) of participants with lung problems, they agree that smoking weed will make them more susceptible to coronavirus.
Whereas 48 (5.53%) of participants without lung problems and 66 (45.65%) of participants with lung problems have similar opinions and don’t agree that weed-smoking puts them at risk of catching coronavirus.
Sharing Behaviors of Marijuana Tools, Utensils, and Accessories Amidst COVID-19 Outbreak
The participants were also asked if they kept sharing marijuana tools, utensils, and accessories since the coronavirus outbreak.
According to 288 (28.35%) of the participants, they still share even after the global pandemic outbreak. The remaining 71.65% stopped sharing joints, bongs, bowls, pipes, spliffs, vape pens, and similar items.
Why do You Continue to Share? What’s Your Motive?
The participants were then asked why they continue to share.
And according to 86 (29.89%) out of the 288 participants that still share (marijuana tools, utensils, and accessories), they do so because they don’t see any reason why they should stop sharing them. 100 (38.04%) of them continue to share because they can’t get rid of the habit.
92 (32.07%) of them share because they just want to have fun with friends and to also relieve some stress.
Participants that stopped sharing marijuana tools, utensils, and accessories were also asked why of their motive on why they do so.
114 (15.70%) stopped to lower the risk of getting infected with coronavirus through these items while 155 (21.29%) do so to practice social distancing.
459 or (63.01%) of them stopped to practice both social distancing and to avoid the risk of getting infected with the virus.
What About Your Friends? Do they Still Share their Weed with You?
Getting infected with coronavirus via sharing marijuana tools and accessories is high. While it’s true that you can do something to keep yourself safe, keeping your friends in control is a different story.
This is true to 333 (34.82%) of the participants that still have stoner friends who share weed with them since the coronavirus outbreak.
But weed buddies of the remaining 663 (65.18%) survey participants have already stopped sharing weed with them to limit the spreading of the virus.
Do you Smoke More or Less Weed Now?
People have consumed more food and used up more hand sanitizers, alcohol, and toilet paper since lockdown was implemented worldwide. But aside from the obvious essentials, American people are also stocking up on cannabis.
Does this mean American pot smokers are also smoking more than their usual dosage? Not likely…
You see, only 298 (29.28%) of them have smoked more since the COVID-19 outbreak and only 270 (26.5%) have smoked less. The majority of the participants or 392 (38.52%) of them smoked the same amount of weed even after the outbreak.
Surprisingly enough, 58 (5.7%) of the survey takers quit smoking weed since the coronavirus outbreak.
Have You Considered Switching to Other Marijuana Consuming Methods?
Marijuana can be inhaled, smoked, or consumed orally, depending on the type of product. Moreover, it can also be consumed via hand pipes, water pipes, rolling papers, tinctures, vaporizers, and the list goes on.
According to 285 (28.04%) of American marijuana smokers, they did try to switch to other marijuana consuming methods such as eating edibles, consuming oils, and others. The remaining 732 (71.96%) of them didn’t bother changing at all.
What About Anxiety Relief Supplements?
Keeping ourselves calm amidst this global pandemic is vital. This goes true to 351 (34.51%) of the survey participants that took anxiety relief supplements.
But only 29 (8.32%) said weed is less effective when it comes to keeping them calm amidst the global pandemic compared to 92 (26.19%) of them that claimed weed is the more effective.
666 (65.49%) of the survey participants are satisfied with weed that they haven’t used any anxiety relief supplements since the global pandemic outbreak.
Fear of Not Being Able to Pay for Cannabis
Similar to the fear of not being able to pay for food, hand sanitizers, alcohols, and toilet papers, are weed smokers also afraid of not being able to pay for cannabis products?
Of the 1,017 participants, only 373 (36.67%) are worried compared to 644 (63.33%) that aren’t worried at all.
Friends and Family Member’s Reactions to Weed Smoking Activities
Friends and families of survey participants have to deal with their weed-smoking habits at home. So, how did they feel about it?
Friends and families of the 135 (13.25%) survey participants were against their weed-smoking habits during the pandemic compared to family members and friends of the 704 (69.18%) survey participants that felt nothing has changed.
138 (13.56%) of the survey participants had seen negative attitudes from family members and friends, but not seriously, whereas family members and friends of 41 (4.01%) survey participants shown discrimination for smoking weed during the pandemic.
– This article was provided by Dwight K. Blake, Editor in Chief of AmericanMarijuana.org
CannabisNewsWire (CNW) is an information service that provides (1) access to our news aggregation and syndication servers, (2) CannabisNewsBreaks that summarize corporate news and information, (3) enhanced press release services, (4) social media distribution and optimization services, and (5) a full array of corporate communication solutions. As a multifaceted financial news and content distribution company with an extensive team of contributing journalists and writers, CNW is uniquely positioned to best serve private and public companies that desire to reach a wide audience of investors, consumers, journalists and the general public. CNW has an ever-growing distribution network of more than 5,000 key syndication outlets across the country. By cutting through the overload of information in today’s market, CNW brings its clients unparalleled visibility, recognition and brand awareness. CNW is where news, content and information converge.
To receive instant SMS alerts, text CANNABIS to 21000 (U.S. Mobile Phones Only)
For more information please visit https://www.cannabisnewswire.com
Do you have a questions or are you interested in working with CNW? Ask our Editor
CannabisNewsWire is part of the InvestorBrandNetwork.
This article contains Third-Party Content submitted by third parties, including articles submitted through the CNW Premium Partnership Program. All opinions, statements and representations expressed by such third parties are theirs alone and do not express or represent the views and opinions of CNW or its affiliates and owners. Content created by third parties is the sole responsibility of such third parties, and CNW does not endorse, guarantee or make representations concerning the accuracy and completeness of all third-party content. You acknowledge that by CNW providing you with this internet portal that makes accessible to you the ability to view third-party content through the CNW site, CNW does not undertake any obligation to you as a reader of such content or assume any liability relating to such third-party content. CNW expressly disclaims liability relating to such third-party content. CNW and its members, affiliates, successors, assigns, officers, directors, and partners assume no responsibility or liability that may arise from the third-party content, including, but not limited to, responsibility or liability for claims for defamation, libel, slander, infringement, invasion of privacy and publicity rights, fraud, or misrepresentation, or an private right of action under the federal securities laws of the United States or common law. Notwithstanding the foregoing, CNW reserves the right to remove third-party content at any time in its sole discretion.