- Lexaria’s patented DehydraTECH(TM)-CBD achieved promising results for diabetes control and weight loss in animals during the pre-clinical animal study DIAB-A22-1
- The weight loss drug market was valued at $1.90 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach $13.26 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 24.7%
- Many drugs used to control diabetes have produced results in managing obesity, which Lexaria plans to leverage with its DehydraTECH(TM) technology
Lexaria Bioscience (NASDAQ: LEXX, LEXXW), a global innovator in drug delivery platforms, recently announced its intent to conduct a human clinical study to examine its patented DehydraTECH(TM)-processed cannabidiol (“CBD”) for diabetes control and weight loss. The company has already completed a pre-clinical diabetes study in animals, which supports its advancement to human trials for diabetes control and weight loss (https://cnw.fm/H1XXZ).
Lexaria had announced in two prior press releases, on March 2 and June 16, that its pre-clinical diabetes study DIAB-A22-1 in obese diabetic-conditioned animals, that DehydraTECH-CBD had achieved the following:
- Lowered blood glucose levels by 19.9% (p<0.05)
- Lowered overall body weight by 7% sustained over eight weeks
- Witnessed a statistically significant increase in locomotor activity (p<0.05)
- Lowered triglyceride levels by more than 25% (p<0.007)
- Lowered blood urea nitrogen levels by 27.9% (p<0.001)
Based on these successful pre-clinical results, the management of Lexaria has decided to undertake a human diabetes clinical study to investigate whether any of these improvements will also be evidenced in humans. Lexaria is currently designing the study, which will be followed by submission to an independent review board to gain necessary approvals.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (“CDC”), managing one’s blood sugar levels is important to avoid diabetes-related conditions, including vision loss, heart disease, and kidney disease (https://cnw.fm/cgbJX). Generic CBD studies, mainly conducted in animals, indicate that it may be ineffective in controlling blood sugar. Lexaria hopes to study whether the DehydraTECH-CBD formulation provides additional insight into human blood sugar control. The company is encouraged by DehydraTECH-CBD’s ability to reduce animal blood sugar levels and believes it warrants additional investigation.
The DehydraTECH technology is designed specifically for formulating and delivering lipophilic (fat-soluble) drugs and active pharmaceutical ingredients (“APIs”). DehydraTECH increases effectiveness and improves the way these APIs enter the bloodstream. The benefits of ingesting a DehydraTECH-enabled drug or consumer product include the following:
- Speeds up delivery with effects of the product felt in minutes
- Increases bioavailability due to its effectiveness in delivering a drug into the bloodstream
- Increases brain absorption, with animal testing evidencing higher drug quantities delivered across the blood-brain barrier
- Improved drug potency, with more of the drug available to the body, requiring lower dosages
- Reduced drug administration costs, meaning that lower dosages require less drug cost overall
- Mask unwanted tastes and reduces or eliminate the need for sweeteners
The company has also collaborated with the National Research Council (“NRC”), the Canadian government’s premier research and technology organization. DehydraTECH is covered by over 30 granted patents, with more pending worldwide. The patent protection includes formulations for specific delivery of cannabinoids, antiviral drugs, nicotine and more.
Many drugs used to control human blood glucose levels have shown promising weight loss results. The weight loss drug market was valued at $1.90 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach $13.26 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 24.7% (https://cnw.fm/of7Pg). The market is growing due to the public’s growing interest in how obesity contributes to other health problems. Lexaria is positioning itself to potentially penetrate this market with its human-based clinical trial of DehydraTECH-CBD and diabetes control.
For more information, visit the company’s website at www.LexariaBioscience.com.
NOTE TO INVESTORS: The latest news and updates relating to LEXX are available in the company’s newsroom at https://cnw.fm/LEXX
CannabisNewsWire (CNW) is an information service that provides (1) access to our news aggregation and syndication servers, (2) CannabisNewsBreaks that summarize corporate news and information, (3) enhanced press release services, (4) social media distribution and optimization services, and (5) a full array of corporate communication solutions. As a multifaceted financial news and content distribution company with an extensive team of contributing journalists and writers, CNW is uniquely positioned to best serve private and public companies that desire to reach a wide audience of investors, consumers, journalists and the general public. CNW has an ever-growing distribution network of more than 5,000 key syndication outlets across the country. By cutting through the overload of information in today’s market, CNW brings its clients unparalleled visibility, recognition and brand awareness. CNW is where news, content and information converge.
To receive instant SMS alerts, text CANNABIS to 21000 (U.S. Mobile Phones Only)
For more information please visit https://www.cannabisnewswire.com
Do you have questions or are you interested in working with CNW? Ask our Editor
CannabisNewsWire is part of the InvestorBrandNetwork.